BITSAT 2018 – Stress Is Your Friend
Everybody around you must be telling you not to take stress before an examination or during preparation. This will not help in better performance in BITSAT or any competitive examination.
No! That is not true.
It has been proved that stress is not always a bad thing. Stress is simply the body’s response to changes that create taxing demands. There are two kinds of stress
- eustress, which is a term for positive stress and can help you perform better in BITSAT
- distress, which refers to negative stress and can be the reason for your failure in BITSAT
Eustress, or positive stress, has the following characteristics:
- Motivates, focuses energy
- Improves performance
- Feels exciting
- Is short-term
It can give an extra burst of adrenaline to help you accomplish goals and meet deadlines. Eustress provides mental alertness, motivation, and efficiency. Eustress can increase self-esteem. All of which is very important for succeeding in highly competitive examinations like JEE (mains) 2019, JEE (advanced) 2019, BITSAT 2018 etc.
In contrast, Distress, or negative stress, has the following characteristics:
- Causes anxiety or concern
- Can be short- or long-term
- Feels unpleasant
- Decreases performance
- Can lead to mental and physical problems
Negative Stress in students is generally caused by
- Overscheduling but not following the schedule
- Procrastination and/or failing to plan ahead
- Not sleeping properly
- Fears: (e.g., fears of performance in examination)
- Worrying about future events (what will i score and what will happen after that, etc)
Do not procrastinate start your preparation now and focus on your strengths in order to create a positive stress.
So next time you feel all stressed up, find out whether it is a eustress or a distress. It may be that you are in eustress which can create the motivation to study and perform much better that what you think you are capable of!
It has been scientifically proven that stress improves your performance, learning and memory. Just be sure that it is “acute,” “short-term” or “moderate” stress or eustress — the kind that is short-lived and related to something specific. “Chronic stress or distress,” on the other hand, isn’t quite so great.
BEST OF LUCK for BITSAT 2018 !